Hi Katie,

I really enjoyed reading your blog post about the top 300 tools for learning. Your writing was clear and concise, and I like how you personalized your post by writing about which tools you use and for what reasons. Like you, I also use applications such as YouTube, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams for personal and work matters; therefore, I agree it is not surprising the platforms are ranked as the top learning tools.

Additionally, I like that you applied the Multimedia Principle to your blog post by adding videos to further explain Kahoot and Mentimeter. I particularly enjoyed the video which described Mentimeter, for it applied the Modality Principle we learned this week. More precisely, the video provided graphics through a screencast, and narration instead of on-screen text. Considering people learn better when graphics are paired with narration instead of printed text, the format of the video helped improve my understanding of Mentimeter (Mayer, 2014).

Although you mentioned you agree with the ranking of the top 300 learning tools, one question I have is whether you would reorder any of the tools on the list? While both Kahoot and Mentimeter are ranked as relatively popular learning tools, you stated you did not know what the platforms were prior to reading the list; therefore, are there any applications you would rank higher than Kahoot and Mentimeter? For instance, perhaps you would consider WordPress a better learning tool than Kahoot, for it enables learners to apply more of the principles for designing multimedia learning environments. What are your thoughts?

Overall, great post!

Xinh

Mayer, R. E. (Ed.). (2014). The Cambridge handbook of multimedia learning (2nd ed.). Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139547369